Thursday 22 January 2015

Grand Illusion

There is a lady by the name of Bonnie Hunter.  In quilting circles she is very, very, very famous.  Each year beginning on Thanksgiving she posts 6, once weekly clues, which by the end will result in a beautiful quilt. But you wont know what it’s going to look like until the final week! It’s known as a mystery quilt a long.

I did my first last year and although I didn’t finish the top of the quilt until the following May I enjoyed the process so much that I decided I wanted to join in the fun again this year. Here is a picture of last years quilt top complete although it still has to be quilted and bound.  Ooops!






This years quilt was called Grand Illusion - named after a hotel which Bonnie stayed at - you can read all about it on her blog here. . . . .

http://quiltville.blogspot.co.uk/p/grand-illusion-mystery.html

I decided that I wanted to change the colours she suggested to more autumnal colours so went with orange, brown, yellow, dark blue and two tones of green.



I did not begin until after the last clue was published on Bonnie’s blog, but beginning something new in the run up to Christmas is not ideal.  Plus I hadn’t actually been given the fabric yet as it was a gift from Daddy Troll!

On Monday of this week I decided that I wanted to set myself the challenge of completing the quilt I had started in much quicker time than the last so I could get going on the next thing without the guilty pangs of having another unfinished project in my bag.



I have set myself the goal of completing this quilt by Sunday evening, piecing, quilting, binding.  The whole kit and caboodle.

Now as you can see, I have made inroads towards this goal but...... I still have probably 20 or so hours worth of work left on this baby!
It’s Thursday - I’m going to be out most of the day.  Tomorrow is Friday and the baby Trolls and I are off to the Bank Of England for an educational jolly.
Saturday and Sunday are always hectic so this could be a bit of a squash and a squeeze!!!!!





Wish me luck because I think I may need it.  Luck and Gin!

2 comments:

  1. Those look absolutely amazing!!!! I love the colours of both but especially like the top ones round forms :D *Marta*

    ReplyDelete