Friday 16 January 2015

Minecraft Cross Body Bag Tutorial - ish. Part 1.


This is a tutorial - ish because my instructions will assume you already have a knowledge of sewing.  There is nothing complicated, sewing in straight lines only but you will need fairly good accuracy sewing a 1/4 inch seam.

So here goes...
 If like me you are a homeschooler you will know of the phenomenon that is MINECRAFT and you will quite probably have a child that has played the game or watched some dude called Stampylongnose on Youtube.

I have two such children and one of them just happens to have a birthday this coming Sunday and had requested a Stampy cat bag some time ago.

So I searched for a tutorial to make one - someone MUST have made one I could just copy and that would be so easy right?

well I searched and came up with nada, zilch, zip, NOTHING. A whole world of Internet tumbleweed was all I found.

But what I did find was a pixel type picture of this Stampy cat thing and being a quilter thought I would just quilt a front and make the rest up as I went along.

So first I drew out this pixel thing in a grid shape. DON'T LAUGH!






You laughed didn’t you!  Oh you meanies ;)
OK so it’s basically an 8 by 8 grid with a specific set of colours on it.
Then I worked out that I would need a back, a bottom and sides and the same for a lining.
I ended up cutting the following pieces.

For the face

24 x 2” square white pieces.
20 x 2” square orange or yellow pieces.
16 x 2” square black pieces.
2 x 2” square dark green pieces.
2 x 2” square light green pieces.

This is what it will end up looking like when it’s sewn together.



For the outside

3,  3.5”x 12.5” dark green pieces.





1,  12.5” x 12.5”  orange or yellow piece. Sorry for the washed out photo, it was very dark outside when I took them.





For The Lining

2,  12.5" x 12.5” squares of your chosen fabric.
3, 3.5” x 12.5” pieces of your chosen fabric.

I chose a black fabric with owls on it that littlest Troll had chosen himself a year or two back.  This was the remnants from another project and happened to match the colours I was using for this bag as well - what a result!



Other

2 D rings.
2, 3” sections of yellow or orange gross grain ribbon wide enough to fit through your D - rings and lie flat.



1 bag strap - mine was re purposed from an old laptop case, but there are plenty of options available should you want to make your own. I’ll leave that bit up to you.


Thread - I used a yellow to match my yellow fabric, but you wont see much thread so you could use white, black, green or yellow.

You will also need iron on interfacing for the outside parts of the bag.  So enough to make the following.

2, 12.5” x 12.5” pieces
3, 12.5” x 3.5” pieces.

So that’s where I’ll stop for the time being.  I’ll make the next part about the construction.







2 comments:

  1. This is so adorable. My kids are growing out of Minecraft now but I totally get the obsession. It's definitely one of the more creative online games out there and I loved hearing my kids tell stories about what they built in Minecraft. Love the quilt idea. Stopping by from The Bubbling Well facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Minette for the visit - it’s always lovely to have new readers :)

      Delete